This congregation was organized by a group of members from the first church in Marblehead – “Old North” – who chose to separate from that church in order to have Edward Holyoke as their minister. In April 1716, the Second Congregational Church of Marblehead was formed. A new meetinghouse was built on the same property that we occupy today.
A year long celebration of this event is being planned. It will include:
- Reviewing our past and envisioning our future
- Opening the time capsule in the meetinghouse cornerstone
- Creating a written history of the congregation’s 300 years
- Initiating an ongoing program of talks and performances to be known as the “Meetinghouse Series”
- A tour of Marblehead as it was in 1716
- A dinner with recipes from the early 1700s
- A Gala Celebration on April 3,, 1716
and much more!
Visit Tricentennial for more information