The Celebration of the Unitarian Universalist Church of Marblehead’s Three Hundredth Anniversary begins its fall program with a walking tour of the old town. Teaming with Old North Church, who is celebrating the 300th anniversary of Rev. Barnard’s installation, the tour will include comments about how our congregation separated from Old North, and comments on the buildings that were already in place in the early 1700s. Marblehead historian Judy Anderson will conduct the tours.
Over two weekends in October, the tour will illustrate how Marblehead evolved geographically southward, from the tip of the mainland peninsula around the Little Harbor at the foot of the Burial Hill, down along the main harbor, to what would become the center of town by the early and then the mid-1700s. The tour will highlight the importance of the Old Town House as a significant early civic building in America. This venerable historic and architecturally high-style structure will be viewed especially in relation to the two meeting houses that preceded it
The walking tour is offered in honor of 300th anniversaries for the town’s three early churches: Marblehead’s Old North Church Congregational (originally the “First Church,”gathered in 1635 and officially established in 1684), whose most notable and long-serving minister arrived in 1715 and became a catalyst for revival of the overseas fish trade that created Marblehead’s economic prosperity up to the Revolution; the Unitarian Universalist Church (formerly the “Second Church,” established in 1716), which became Unitarian a century later under a progressive young minister who championed essential social services for the community; and a third church, St. Michael’s Anglican (then Episcopal after the Revolution), which marked its Tercentenary last year.
The two 18th-century Congregational churches were one until 1716, when two capable candidates for an associate pastor position prompted a division of the congregation. One would lead a new church in the rapidly growing community. Two decades later, he would be appointed president of Harvard College and would serve there for thirty-two years. The other would serve the founding congregation and the community for more than half a century. They would die within a year of each other, in 1769 and 1700, at age 80 and 89. But each witnessed the full flourishing of the commercial seaport whose well-being both had nurtured and to which each had come exactly three centuries ago.
Tour participants will gain an understanding of the evolution of the town’s built environmentfrom the 1600s to the 1840s. Beyond that, they will learn more about Marblehead’s social and architectural history within the context of civic, spiritual and humanitarian developments during the dynamic town’s first two centuries.
The same 90-minute walking tour will be given four times over two weekends. No reservations are needed.
DATES: Saturday, October 3 at 11:00 a.m.; Sunday, October 4 at 4:00 p.m.; Saturday, October 17 at 9:00 a.m.; Sunday, October 18 at noon.
WHERE: Tours will start at the gazebo on top of Old Burial Hill. End at the UU Church at 28 Mugford Street. (Important note: Sunday, October 18 only, meet at the UU Church, 28 Mugford St., and end at the Burial Hill, where the town’s government and church congregations began.)
COST: Suggested contribution of $5 or $10 to benefit the Unitarian Universalist Church, the Old North Church, or a website about Marblehead architecture. (Participants can choose.)
Stetson Gallery in the Unitarian Universalist Church of Marblehead reopens for the 2015-2016 gallery season with a beautifully moving exhibit, “Love Makes a Family.” The opening reception for the exhibit will take place on Sunday, Sept. 13, from Noon-2 p.m.
“Love Makes a Family” is a photo-text exhibit featuring the images and words of Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, and Transgender people and their families. The exhibit consists of 20 museum-quality framed photographs accompanied by interview text panels. “Love Makes a Family” will be on exhibit throughout September and October.
Interviews by Peggy Gillespie and photos by Gigi Kaeser bring to life and light the experiences of diverse families with gay, lesbian, bisexual, or transgender adults, dads or moms, grandparents, and teens. Together, the words and images in “Love Makes A Family” make visible, in a positive way, the love and caring in these families. The exhibit contributes to the process of dismantling the destructive power of prejudice and intolerance, thus making the world a safer place for all people.
The exhibit was created by Family Diversity Projects, a non-profit organization devoted to educating the public about issues related to the diversity of family life. Family Diversity Projects creates photo-text exhibits and books in order to help eliminate prejudice, stereotyping, name-calling, and harassment of people who are discriminated against due to race, national origin, religion, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, size, and mental or physical ability.
Because FDP is a not-for-profit organization, it requests a donation minimum from all venues, plus a commitment to cover the significant costs it incurs to ship the exhibit to the venue. Stetson Gallery will therefore be conducting a fund raising effort to raise the funds FDP has requested. Checks may be made payable to UUCM, with Stetson Gallery in the memo line. The co-curators appreciate all donations!
The exhibit is directly connected with the principles of UUCM, a certified Welcoming Congregation.
The opening reception for Love Makes a Family will be held Sunday, Sept. 13, from 12-2 p.m. Stetson Gallery is located at 28 Mugford St., Marblehead. Gallery hours are Monday-Friday 9 a.m.-2 p.m. (1 p.m. Monday), during church events, and during me&thee coffeehouse concerts. For further information, visit uumarblehead.org, or call 781-631-1215.
To inquire about exhibiting in Stetson Gallery, contact curators Anthony and Jo Ann Silva at Stetson@uumarblehead.org
Each year on the Saturday before our In-Gathering service we gather together for the Gail Doliber Family Lobster Bake Church Picnic.
Named after a treasured UUCMer, the picnic will be held from 4 pm until dusk on the church patio. It’s a great way to catch up with everyone and meet newcomers. Feel free to being along a friend as well!
Clam chowder, corn chowder, salad, drinks & dinnerware are provided.